On fourth day of August, 1864, in Boston, Massachusetts, the Rockport Granite Company of Massachusetts is incorporated for the purpose of “carrying on the business of quarrying, and preparing for the market and selling stone.” It is not until 1914 that two amendments are voted onto the original article of Incorporation and the Corporation’s name is shortened to ‘The Rockport Granite Company.’
The chart below lists the original investors, shares and amount of each individual investment.
This was an unprecedented capitalization in the Cape Ann Granite Industry and it represents the appearance of shrewd determined businessmen who saw golden dollars to be made from the selling of paving stones.
Name No. of Shares $Amount
John L. Thaxter 623 $62,300
John H. Stimson 623 $62,300
Salem T. Lamb 623 $62,300
William F. Dow (Trustee) 60 $6,000
Benj. P. Battles 50 $5,000
Re T. P. Fiske 20 $2,000
John Lathrop 1 $100
PART 2 arrives April 18, 2017, in which we learn what the RGCof MA was doing during the time prior to its incorporation.